Ancestors of Stuart Bernard THORN,


1. Stuart Bernard THORN,

First child of Edwin & Eveline Thorn, christened twice, once at Whitkirk Church, second time not known, attended Halton Primary School, then Cross Gates Secondary School, left just before 14th birthday, started work at Robson Elliff's Radio shop at 5 Albion Street, Leeds. Eighteen months later moved to work for Jos Hindles under dark arches, they installed and repaired refrigerators.
On the 10th January 1949 left home to join the Royal Navy as a Junior Stoker. First six weeks training carried out at HMS Royal Arthur, Corsham, Wiltshire, then moved HMS Raleigh, Torpoint Cornwall for part two training. Selected for accelerated advancement as a SS Stoker, carried out training on HMS Newfoundland, then HMS Anson, (Battleship in the training squadron). Subsequently drafted to HMS Implacable, Flagship of the Home Fleet in November 1949. Left her in September 1950 and joined HMS Zodiac a destroyer in the Portland Flotilla. Advanced to Leading Stoker Mechanic, in May 1951 drafted to MT& RE for 243 MTC course. On completion was a Sea Recommended Candidate for the Mechanicians Course. Drafted to HMS Newcastle, refitting in Devonport in preparation for service in Korea, whilst on embarkation leave in February 1952 met Shelagh Oldham. Sailed for Far East on the 19th May 1952. Was advanced to Petty Officer Stoker Mechanic whilst in Far East. Returned home in November 1953, married Shelagh on the 19th December 1953.
Moved to live in Portsmouth at the end of December. Started Mechaniciand Training Course 88 in January, bought a bungalow at 135 Oak Road, Fareham, moved in on the 4th April. Trevor our son was born at Blackbrook Maternity Hospital on the 6th December 1954. Completed the Mech's Course in February 1956, was drafted to HMS Marvel,(Minesweeper) for a short while.Christine was born on the 14th July 1956. I was then sent to join HMS Newfoundland in Singapore in the rating of Mechanian 3rd Class, subsequently made 2nd class. Returned home to be drafted to HMS Duncan (building) as a 1st class Mech. Eiighteen months later, left to join HMS Victorious, (Aircraft Carrier), made Chief Mechanician and selected for promotion to Engineer Sub Lieutenant. Attended training courses at Greenwich College, and RN Engineering College Manadon, Plymouth. appointed to HMS Hermes as a Flight Deck Officer, then to HMS ARK ROYAL, in 1966 joined the staff of HMS Sultan the RN Engineering School,and in July 1968 Seconded to the Royal Malaysian Navy, as Principal Naval Overseer, Singapore. In 1971 took early retirement and moved to New Zealand.
Took up the position of Planning Engineer at the Tasman Pulp & Paper Mill, Kawerua. Lived at 33 Bell Street. Moved to Auckland in October 1974, lived at Bucklands Beach, worked as Area Engineer, then promoted to Manufacturing Manager of the Ice Cream Division of General Foods.
Left in 1981 to take up a position as Deputy Registrar(Services) at Auckland University.
Retired in July 1992 to return to live in Yorkshire, firstly in Flamborough, then in Beverley. He moved back to New Zealand in 2002, living first in Greerton, Tauranga then at Mt. Maunganui.